In 1911 two groups of Methodists started two congregations known as the Sycamore Heights Methodist Church and Sagamore Hill Methodist Church, both located in the Meadowbrook area of Fort Worth. The merger of these two churches in 1928 formed what is now Meadowbrook United Methodist Church. The first worship service for the new church occurred on November 18, 1928. Over the next two Sundays, 475 persons joined the new church as Charter Members.
"We are a Christian fellowship embracing our community with hope, acceptance, and unconditional love."
This mission statement illustrates the decision that MUMC members made several years ago when given the opportunity to move to a new area. The decision was made to remain in the neighborhood and be a center of activity and service to our neighbors, utilizing all available resources for this purpose.
Though we are sometimes identified by various groups in the church -- Sunday School classes, United Methodist Women, Choir, Preschool Enrichment Program, Prayer Shawl Ministry, Youth Group, Staff and Volunteers ? we also host organizations such as Troop 12 Boy Scouts (the oldest existing scout troop in Longhorn Council), East Fort Worth 4-H Club, Girl Scouts, West Meadowbrook Neighborhood Association, Eastside Rotary Club, Texas Wesleyan Basketball Team, and Karate classes. There is a long tradition of sports teams, including the famous Meadowbrook fast pitch softball team, bowling leagues, and basketball teams. Upward Sports is planned for fall 2008. Family camps were a highlight of many summers. Church picnics, retreats, health fairs, Stephen Ministries, blood drives, Roadrunner trips, senior game days, and Bible studies have nurtured us.
We interact with the larger community with active outreach through Meadowbrook in Mission, Meadowbrook Meals for the homebound, Adopt-a-School at Meadowbrook Elementary, Eastside Ministries, the Metropolitan Board of Missions, United Community Centers, prison ministry program, Alliance for Children, New Lives School, Harris Hospital Volunteers, Church Women United, Union Gospel Mission, Presbyterian Night Shelter, Habitat for Humanity, Safe Haven, Day Resource Center, Adopt-a-Family, the Kairos program in three prisons, Emmaus weekend retreats, and United Methodist Women sponsored mission projects, both local and global. Teddy bears by the hundreds are donated each February to Alliance for Children, New Lives School, and emergency responders.
Meadowbrook United Methodist sponsors youth and adult work mission trips each year, and hosts other mission teams. We are a connectional church, so we reach out to a vast community through district, conference, and global ministries. The Justice for our Neighbors program assists immigrants in the naturalization process. For over 37 years we have hosted the two-night Optimist Spaghetti Supper, where approximately 750 Eastsiders enjoy a meal and help support programs for Eastside youth.
Our Broadway style musical and drama productions are unique among churches, and create a joyous atmosphere in welcoming community members through entertaining shows such as "Camelot," "Oklahoma," "Bye Bye Birdie," "Annie," "Hello Dolly," "Mame," & "Music Man."
We are a congregation of Invitation, Inspiration, Celebration, Restoration, and Dedication.
As quoted in the 1946 Building Fund Brochure: "Let us have a church for the whole person: Truth for the mind, good works for the hands, love for the heart; and for the soul, that aspiration after perfection, that unfaltering faith in God, which, like lightening in the clouds, shines brightest when elsewhere it is most dark." ---Theodore Parker
Purchase of land and building of facilities have gone on through the years to meet the needs of the congregation and outreach to the community. In 1928, the 3900 block of Meadowbrook Drive running through to Mt. Vernon Street was purchased. A new frame sanctuary was built relying heavily on volunteer carpenters, using some building materials from the other two churches. Several smaller buildings were relocated to serve as Church School classrooms.
The present sanctuary was built in 1948 and 1949. The congregation had worked hard collecting money to build as soon as materials were available after World War II. In 1951, a two-story educational unit was built joining the sanctuary to the east. The Fellowship Hall was built in 1958. The next building joined the Fellowship Hall to the sanctuary. It included adequate educational space, a parlor, a Youth Center and administrative offices. This building was used for the first time June 9, 1968. At this time, the Scout Hut was built on property across Mt. Vernon Street and seven residential properties were acquired for parking lots.
On May 8, 1995, the church was badly damaged by a severe hail storm. Extensive renovation was needed to restore the building.
In 2004, the building was updated with the addition of the Taylor Memorial Elevator, a new ladies rest room, a lift between the Bright Corner Room and the Fellowship Hall, and renovation of the air conditioning/heating system. At the same time, the Community Life Center was built. It consists of a gymnasium, kitchen, two classrooms and restrooms. It was built to provide facilities for basketball and volleyball, and space for dinners and other large gatherings of church members and their neighbors. It has been used for the Halloween Carnival, health fairs, the church-wide garage sale, Methodist District meetings, church picnic, county 4-H dance, neighborhood meetings, Meadowbrook Elementary student activities, PEP activities, residence for visiting work mission teams, and even as a place for people to sign gas leases.
We remember the faithful, dedicated service that was rendered by our members in the past. Our foundation was laid by those who have gone before us. Meadowbrook's ministry has been and continues to be an adventure of faith.
Because we are a people who reach out in celebration, inspiration, congregation, and dedication, we are the neighbor, benefactor, activity center: and hopefully an example and invitation for our neighbors to join us in following Christ's teachings.
As Meadowbrook looks to the future, we embrace our community partners!
Let's keep Meadowbrook Momentum going!
The History of Meadowbrook Methodist Church 1928-1962 and History of Meadowbrook United Methodist Church (and predecessor churches) 1911-1987 by Lyle Williams, church historian, and committees.
(Thank you to Lois Bogusch and Mary Strom for updating the church history.)
1. Jesse Herman Baldridge 1928-1930
2. George Waverly Davis 1930-1933
3. John Wilson Mayne 1933-1935
4. Robert Cleveland Edwards 1935-1938
5. James Bruce Curry 1938-1939
6. Dr. William H. Coleman 1939-1941
7. Joseph Isham Patterson 1940-1947
8. Charles Offutt Shugart 1947-1950
9. J.W. Sprinkle 1950-1956
10. Charles Hutcheson Sisserson 1956-1959
11. John Wesley Ford 1959-1961
12. Dwight Lyman McCree 1961-1963
13. R. Bruce Weaver 1963-1966
14. H. Brown Loyd 1966-1970
15. Morgan Garrett 1970-1977
16. Bob F. Weathers 1977-1980
17. Leslie Warren Olliff 1980-1983
18. James Reid Porter 1983-1987
19. L. Michael McKee 1987-1992
20. Dr. Leonard Radde 1992-1994
21. Gary A. Whitbeck 1994-1996
22. J. Neil Norman 1996-2001
23. Larry M. VanZile 2001-2007
24. Jim D. Chandler 2007-2014
25. Marilyn L. Jones 2014-present